Senior Hardware Design Engineer
This posting will remain open until filled
Assists with the development and production of hardware products.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Designs, develops, tests, and introduces into production, new products and revisions to existing products.
- Supports Production during the introduction period of new products.
- Uses computer-assisted engineering and design software and equipment to perform assignments.
- Responsible for electrical circuit design for sensors and interface products.
- Responsible for the mechanical design of packaging for products.
- Responsible for circuit board designs including mechanical, layout, part library, build and maintenance.
- Responsible for microcontroller firmware design including source development, HW/SW integration, revision control, and maintenance.
- Responsible for the research and specification of parts and sources for initial builds.
- Prepares release documentation package including assembly drawings, parts list, wiring diagrams, package drawings, test procedures, calibration procedure and troubleshooting guide.
- Provides excellent customer service and maintains professional working relationships with all internal and external customers.
- Participates in Engineering department meetings and trainings.
- Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Provides technical support to project team members.
- Proactively identifies and suggest improvements to processes and deliverables.
- May coordinate and review the work of a small team.
- May assists with mentoring, goal setting, and performance feedback of other department members.
- Extremely proficient with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within design engineering.
- Works independently; a wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected and routinely exhibited.
ATTRIBUTES OF A SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE INCLUDE:
- Strong background in analog and digital circuit design, PCB layout, and debug
- Experience developing data acquisition systems involving sensors—accelerometers, gyros, thermistors, etc.
- Experience architecting, integrating, and debugging embedded processor or microcontroller systems
- Experience working with memory-mapped systems and peripheral buses—I2C, SPI, UART, etc.
- Experience integrating Bluetooth radios
- Fluent in C/C++
- Proven track record leading projects through all phases of the development cycle
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university; and 8+ years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to effectively present information to top management and public groups.
Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations. Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to deal with nonverbal symbolism (formulas, scientific equations, graphs, musical notes, etc.) in its most difficult phases. Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is typical of an open cubical environment.