Shipping Specialist I
Shipping Specialist I — Shipping Team
Who You Are
You are a team player who works hard, while still being able to enjoy both your work and your team. You enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, while your attention to detail makes you stand out in a crowd. You know how to get the job done and are always thinking of ways to improve it. You are open to input from others and are always willing to help out wherever you are needed.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Effective problem-solving skills
- Good attendance and ability to be punctual
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Ability to regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 35 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
Traits for Success
- Demonstrates a high level of professionalism
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Able to foster working relationships while building trust with peers
- Desire to learn and grow
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
- One year related experience and/or training
- Familiarity with MRP/ERP systems
- Familiarity with Microsoft® Word, Excel, Google Docs, Google Mail, and Google Calendar.
About the Shipping and Receiving Team
Our Shipping and Receiving Team is a flexible group that works cohesively towards a common goal, creates a positive working atmosphere, and supports each other to combine individual strengths in order to enhance overall team performance.
The team excels at what they do, especially during peak times. During the spring and summer months we expand our team through seasonal workers. The team takes pride in training and assisting seasonal workers to ensure that everyone has every possible opportunity to succeed.
The team does a great job of being flexible and helping out wherever the need is the greatest. They are proud of their broad knowledge of the many tasks that are performed in the department and have the ability to rotate and work throughout the area.
The team is a hardworking, self-motivated, and effective group that enjoys having fun along the way.
Founded in 1981, Vernier pioneers award-winning interfaces, sensors, software, and curriculum to transform how educators teach science and how students collect, analyze, and interpret scientific data. Vernier is registered as an Oregon Benefit Company. We have also been on the list of the 100 Best Places to Work in Oregon for over 20 years. Being on this list means that we are serious about our commitment to providing employees with a positive, professional, and fun work environment.
What we can offer you
In addition to amazing company culture, Vernier offers competitive pay, profit sharing, generous benefits, and an employer contribution into your 401(k) retirement account. We have an onsite fitness center, private shower facilities, an indoor bike storage room, and weekly fitness activities/classes. Vernier is located next to the Millikan Way MAX line, and we provide an employer-paid commuter benefit. We also offer training opportunities, tuition assistance, paid volunteer time, a generous PTO (paid time off) plan, and paid sabbaticals.
Job Title: Shipping Specialist I
Reports To: Shipping Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Provide excellent service to internal and external customers by accurately pulling, staging, checking, packing, and shipping customer orders.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Accurately pull, pack, and stage orders.
- Verify orders that have been pulled by others.
- Use ERP system to ship orders, pull, and put away new inventory.
- Maintain inventory accuracy and location accuracy for stocked items using the First In First Out (FIFO) system.
- Actively participate in team meetings.
- Assists with keeping the stockroom and warehouse clean and organized, to include putting products away in proper location, and sorting packing material into the proper recycling bins.
- May participate in process improvements and lean objectives, such as Kaizans.
- May perform tasks in other departments within Operations.
- Must have good attendance and ability to be punctual.
- Works under immediate supervision. Relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job.
- Ability to use standard warehouse equipment such as, but not limited to, hand truck, cart, or pallet jack.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service and maintain a professional attitude to all co-workers and external customers.
- Effective at working in a team environment. Shares information with others; listens and responds appropriately.
- Ability to frequently lift and/or move up to 35 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Accuracy in counting, attention to detail, and organizational skills.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Docs, and Google Mail and Calendar system.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. It is mandatory that the individual be able to work well in a team environment. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Requires a high school diploma or general education degree (GED); or 1 year related experience, or combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions. Ability to recognize similarities and differences between words and between series of numbers. Ability to print and communicate in simple sentences.
Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10's and 100's. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance with the use of a calculator as needed. Ability to comprehend size and dimensions in regards to dimensional weight or pallet dimensions.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations. Ability to shift direction as priorities change when deemed necessary, and be able to resume to previous responsibility when completed.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand on a hard surface, walk, climb or balance. The employee is required to regularly use hands to finger, handle, or feel, and to frequently reach with hands and arms. The employee must regularly and/or move up to 20 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 35 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts. This is a blended office and warehouse environment that regularly interacts with office staff. The noise level in the work environment is typical of a warehouse environment.
Vernier Software & Technology is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veterans status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.