Director of Marketing
Director of Marketing — Marketing Teams
Who You Are
You promote and foster an environment where teamwork is a priority. You are collaborative within your team and across departmental boundaries when making decisions or taking suggestions. You like working in a fast-paced environment where priorities can change at a moment’s notice.
You are someone who understands and supports data-driven marketing strategies, principles, and practices. You’re very open to and supportive of input from your team. Not only are you someone who can think outside the box, but you thrive in a diverse work environment.
You have a strong and proven technical and managerial background. You are great at directing workflows but also willing to jump in and assist your team when needed. You know how to instill fun in the workplace while setting priorities and accomplishing daily goals.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; both written and verbal
- Ability to think creatively and develop new design concepts
- Strong attention to detail; effective problem solving, organization, and time management skills
- Working knowledge of the Adobe Creative Cloud Suite, including InDesign and Photoshop, Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Docs, Google Mail, and Google Calendar
- Thorough understanding and familiarity with digital marketing concepts and practices
- Self-motivated with a results-driven approach
Traits for Success
- Demonstrates a high level of professionalism
- Able to foster working relationships while building trust with peers
- Proactively demonstrates leadership capabilities through mentoring and training
Education and Experience
- Master's degree (M.A. or M.S.) or equivalent; or five to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proven experience in a marketing leadership role
About the Marketing Teams
Our Marketing Teams are quality-driven, flexible teams that work cohesively toward a common goal, create a positive working environment, and support each other to combine individual strengths in order to enhance overall team performance.
The teams excel at what they do, especially during peak times. Our Creative Team produces our yearly catalog and coordinates cross-channel marketing campaigns, which include our email marketing campaigns, social media platforms, print materials, advertisements, and website. The Events Team manages multiple workshops and conferences.
The Marketing Teams are hardworking, self-motivated, and effective groups that enjoy having fun along the way.
Founded in 1981, Vernier pioneers award-winning interfaces, sensors, software, and curriculum to transform how educators teach science and how students collect, analyze, and interpret scientific data. Vernier is registered as an Oregon Benefit Company. We have also been on the list of the 100 Best Places to Work in Oregon for over 15 years. Being on this list means that we are serious about our commitment to providing employees with a positive, professional, and fun work environment.
What we can offer you
In addition to an amazing company culture, Vernier offers competitive pay, profit sharing, and a generous employer contribution into your 401(k) retirement account. Our benefits are exceptional and include 100% employer paid healthcare premiums for eligible employees and their families. We have an onsite fitness center, private shower facilities, indoor bike storage room, and weekly fitness activities/classes. Vernier is located next to the Millikan Way MAX line, and we provide employer-paid TriMet passes to all eligible employees. We also offer tuition assistance, paid volunteer time, a generous PTO (paid time off) plan, and paid sabbaticals.
Job Title: Director of Marketing
Reports To: CEO
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Director of Marketing leads the marketing team in creating communication strategies to establish Vernier as a premier provider of technology, tools, and services for science and technology education. The Director provides leadership in positioning Vernier in the market, brand evolution, market intelligence, and go-to-market strategies and plans that help the organization accomplish its market objectives.
The Director of Marketing is a key contributor to the focus and direction of the business. This individual also helps team members within and outside the group to grow as professionals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
This position drives marketing, product owners, and product managers to launch, position, market, and promote Vernier products.
- Develops and executes comprehensive marketing plans and programs, both short- and long-range, to support objectives of the organization.
- Researches, analyzes, and monitors financial, technological, and demographic factors to capitalize on market opportunities and minimize effects of competitive activity.
- Develops and manages the marketing operating budget.
- Plans and oversees advertising and promotion activities including print, online, electronic media, direct mail, and conferences/trade shows.
- Develops and recommends product positioning, packaging, and pricing strategy to produce the highest possible long-term market share.
- Oversees and evaluates market research and adjusts marketing strategy to meet changing market and competitive conditions.
- Monitors competitive products and marketing activities.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with industry influencers and key community and strategic partners.
- Conducts marketing surveys and focus groups on current and new product concepts; provides feedback for future product development.
- Guides preparation of marketing activity reports and presents to executive management.
- Establishes and maintains a consistent corporate image throughout all product lines, promotional materials, and events.
- Maintains a positive, team-oriented work environment that retains and motivates top quality personnel.
- Performs other work as assigned to ensure the success of the team and the entire organization.
- Deep knowledge of marketing best practices, including market research, direct response, digital, social media, trade shows, events, and loyalty/retention
- Solid strategic marketing analytical skills (e.g., market and competitive dynamics, business performance).
- Experience developing and managing budgets
- Strong project management skills
- Detail-oriented with the ability to manage several projects at once from inception through execution
- Experience in education technology
- Understanding of Agile project management methods
- Able to work under pressure, with interruptions, and meet established deadlines
- Commitment to working with shared leadership and in cross-functional teams
- Adept at delegating and managing, as well as getting things done as an individual contributor when needed
- Excellent listening and communication skills; the ability to comprehend and clearly communicate in written, discussion and presentation formats
- Proven track record of successful personnel management. Experience with hiring, training, developing, supervising and managing performance of personnel
- Ability to cultivate and support a positive, collaborative, team-oriented work environment
- The courage to step into difficult or awkward situations and create resolution for the betterment of individuals, teams, and Vernier
- Exceptional skills in partnering with clients and staff and in developing and maintaining long-term supportive relationships
- Ability to travel to represent Vernier at conferences, trade shows, and events
- Experience in education technology
- Understanding of Agile project management methods
- Basic knowledge of Vernier products
Manages all the employees within the department. Is responsible for performance, management, and hiring for the department. Is responsible for supervision and relationships with contractors and vendors.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Master's degree (M.A. or M.S.) or equivalent; or five to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Demonstrated success in a marketing leadership role and corporate marketing strategy in mid-size organization. Experience in the education sector is desired.
Ability to read and interpret technical and scientific journals. Ability to communicate both in writing and in person with science and STEM teachers from elementary teachers to graduate school instructors. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, and percentages. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra, geometry, and statistics.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 35 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vernier Software & Technology is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veterans status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.