Supply Chain Manager
Supply Chain Manager
Who You Are
You promote and foster an environment where teamwork is a priority. You are collaborative within your team and across departmental boundaries when making decisions or taking suggestions. You like working in a fast-paced environment where priorities can change at a moment’s notice.
You have a strong and proven logistics, purchasing, project management, and managerial background. You are someone who understands international business while working closely with local companies. You are very open to and supportive of input from your team. Not only are you someone who can think outside the box, you thrive in helping others find new ways to approach solutions.
You are quick to understand work flows and are constantly looking for ways to make them more efficient. You understand how products are developed and are able to look ahead to address potential challenges before they occur. You have a calm presence and ability to negotiate fiercely while still maintaining strong relationships. You can easily lead teams to success but are also willing to jump in and assist your teams when needed. You know how to instill fun in the workplace while setting priorities and accomplishing daily goals.
- Requires proof of vaccination from COVID-19
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; both written and verbal
- Strong attention to detail; effective problem solving, organization, and time management skills
- Experience procuring products from throughout the world
- Strong international supply chain and logistics background
- Detailed understanding of manufacturing product development and on-going production
- Thorough understanding of MRP/ERP systems
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Docs, Google Mail, and Google Calendar
- Understanding and familiarity with Lean Manufacturing concepts, principles, and practice
- Self-motivated with a results-driven approach
Traits for Success
- Demonstrates a high level of professionalism
- Able to foster working relationships while building trust with peers
- Ability to build and maintain long-standing supplier relationships
- Proactively demonstrates leadership capabilities through mentoring and training
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or higher with 5+ years related experience and/or training in a purchasing/logistics capacity, plus at least 2 years in a managerial or supervisory function; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A good technical understanding and familiarity with Lean Manufacturing concepts, principles, and practice
About the Purchasing Team
Our Purchasing team is a quality-driven, flexible team that works cohesively toward a common goal, creates a positive working atmosphere, and supports each other to combine individual strengths in order to enhance overall team performance.
As a team, we work together every day in a positive and constructive environment where excellent communication is critical to our success. We take pride in coming up with creative solutions during challenging times while maintaining strong relationships with long-standing suppliers. We strive to help deliver quality products to in a timely fashion, while having fun along the way.
Founded in 1981, Vernier pioneers award-winning interfaces, sensors, software, and curriculum to transform how educators teach science and how students collect, analyze, and interpret scientific data. Vernier is registered as an Oregon Benefit Company. We have also been on the list of the 100 Best Places to Work in Oregon for over 20 years. Being on this list means that we are serious about our commitment to providing employees with a positive, professional, and fun work environment.
What we can offer you
In addition to an amazing company culture, Vernier offers competitive pay, profit sharing, generous benefits, and an employer contribution into your 401(k) retirement account. We have an onsite fitness center, private shower facilities, indoor bike storage room, and weekly fitness activities/classes. Vernier is located next to the Millikan Way MAX line, and we provide an employer-paid commuter benefit. We also offer training opportunities, tuition assistance, paid volunteer time, a generous PTO (paid time off) plan, and paid sabbaticals.
Job Title: Supply Chain Manager
Reports To: Director of Operations
FLSA Status: Exempt
Hands-on Manager responsible for managing the Purchasing Department. Oversees the procurement and transportation logistics of components used in the manufacture of Vernier products. Works with the team to plan and manage the supply chain for all parts based on forecasts and customer orders. Creates, implements and maintains policies and procedures for the procurement of parts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Plan, develop, organize, evaluate, direct and manage all material procurement activities and personnel.
- Coordinates supply chain management activities including: investigating and recommending potential suppliers, supplier corrective action, supplier performance monitoring, supplier relationship management, setting/negotiating supplier agreements and development of component transportation logistics from supplier to receipt.
- Identify and manage risk within the supply chain.
- Develop policies and procedures related to all aspects of the purchase and transportation of components used in Vernier products.
- Have experience with international import/export of goods, including regulated products like lithium batteries, chemical solutions, etc.
- Coordinate key components of the operations planning and scheduling processes including supply/demand forecasting, inventory management, on-time delivery and production scheduling.
- Manage the relationship and work with local Contract Manufacturers to schedule and deliver product based on forecast and daily schedules.
- Direct the coordination of key aspects of the development of new products and processes, including: the purchase of material and samples required for new product builds, acquisition of required equipment and tooling in support of product builds (pilot to production release), required meetings and regular up-to-date material status on NPI projects and other tasks especially with regard to project schedules and material costs, smooth product transition from NPI to Production release by preparing the supply chain and insuring continuity of material supply, mitigating delivery delays and quality issues, and similar related functions throughout the PCN process for existing products.
- Responsible for working within the group and throughout the organization to make decisions concerning inventory, staffing, processes, procedures and expenses related to Purchasing and related operations.
- Monitor and analyze current trends in the marketplace.
- Continues to learn and develop skills relating to Supply Chain Management through formal training, on-the-job training sessions, and industry research.
- Support the Continuous Improvement process through the use of Lean, Six Sigma and other continuous improvement methodologies.
- Use project management techniques to concurrently handle a variety of projects and responsibilities.
- Coordinate, define and implement standard operating procedures for all Purchasing operations.
- Have a basic knowledge of quality standards and their implementation including corrective action reports, product data management and writing of procedures.
- Provides stellar customer service by maintaining professional working relationships with internal and external customers.
- Maintains regular and punctual attendance in accordance with scheduled work hours.
- Works independently under limited supervision. Relies on extensive experience and judgement to plan and accomplish goals. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
Directly manages employees in the Purchasing Department. Carries out managerial responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include:
- Review performance of individuals in the group providing positive and appropriate communications that are fair, consistent and adhere to the company policies and culture. Provide praise and feedback as well as disciplinary action when necessary.
- Interview and hire quality candidates that fit with the company culture and adequately meet job qualifications.
- Ensure proper training of new and existing employees on departmental processes and procedures.
- Establish clear, consistent and regular communication and expectations to workers.
- Manage and motivate workers providing a fun and productive atmosphere.
- Acts and is looked upon as a mentor by employees.
- Conducts quarterly one-on-one meetings and timely performance reviews with all direct reports.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Requires a Bachelor’s Degree and 5+ years related experience or training in an operational capacity, plus at least 2 years in a management or supervisory function; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Requires effective problem solving and strong communication skills as well as the ability to work within a highly collaborative environment. Requires attention to detail, organization, and follow through skills.
Proficient in use of Microsoft Office products, including Word, Excel and Power Point, with extensive Excel skills preferred. Proficiency with Crystal Reports preferred. Previous experience with ERP/MRP systems, preferably in an electronics manufacturing operation. Preference given to those with experience using the E21 ERP/MRP program. Some understanding of basic computer logic and programming preferred.
Ability to read, write, and comprehend instructions, correspondence, and memos. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to department employees, customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed and potentially complex written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving several variables in both standardized and non-standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Vernier Software & Technology is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veterans status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.