Customer Service Specialist I (temp to hire)
Customer Service Specialist I — Front Office Team
Who You Are
You are able to spend hours on data entry and juggle multiple priorities. You enjoy a variety of work and adapt easily to changing workflows. You are self-directed and keep track of priorities. You are able to consistently provide Stellar Service to our customers over the phone and in emails. You are able to remain calm during extended periods of high-pressure workflow and seek out work when things slow down. You excel in a team environment, stepping in to help where needed and asking for help when needed. You have a good sense of humor and find ways to keep the laughter and fun alive.
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills—both written and verbal
Strong attention to detail
Effective problem-solving skills
Organization and time management skills
Working knowledge of Microsoft® Word, Excel, Slack, Google Docs, Google Mail, and Google Calendar
Traits for Success
Demonstrate a high level of professionalism
Able to foster working relationships while building trust with peers
Desire to learn and grow
Education and Experience
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and four years related experience and/or training.
College coursework desired but not required.
One year of general computer experience, including spreadsheet use and word processing. Working knowledge of general accounting topics such as accounts receivable and accounts payable.
Ability to type at least 40 words/minute by touch.
About the Front Office Team
Our Front Office team is a quality-driven, flexible team that works cohesively toward a common goal, creates a positive working atmosphere, and supports one another to combine individual strengths to enhance overall team performance.
The team excels at what they do, especially during peak times. The Front Office Team takes pride in training and assisting each other to ensure that everyone has every possible opportunity to succeed.
The Front Office Team is a hardworking, self-motivated, and effective group that enjoys having fun along the way.
Founded in 1981, Vernier pioneers award-winning interfaces, sensors, software, and curriculum to transform how educators teach science and how students collect, analyze, and interpret scientific data. Vernier is registered as an Oregon Benefit Company. We have also been on the list of the 100 Best Places to Work in Oregon for over 15 years. Being on this list means that we are serious about our commitment to providing employees with a positive, professional, and fun work environment.
What we can offer you
In addition to an amazing company culture, Vernier offers competitive pay, profit sharing, generous benefits, and an employer contribution into your 401(k) retirement account. We have an onsite fitness center, private shower facilities, indoor bike storage room, and weekly fitness activities/classes. Vernier is located next to the Millikan Way MAX line, and we provide an employer-paid commuter benefit. We also offer training opportunities, tuition assistance, paid volunteer time, a generous PTO (paid time off) plan, and paid sabbaticals.
Job Title: Customer Service Specialist I
Department: Front Office
Reports To: Front Office Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Responsible for entering orders and providing customer service and performing a variety of tasks that contribute to the smooth and efficient operation of the Front Office/Customer Service Department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned. Tasks may be shared with others in the department.
- Processes orders and creates paperwork for shipping and billing purposes.
- Adds and edits customers in the database.
- Routes incoming calls, multiple lines.
- May prepare invoices for mailing, including reconciling shipment and payment information.
- May make calls and send invoice copies to collect on past due invoices.
- May locate invoices that correspond with checks/wires/credit card information received and apply payments to customer accounts.
- Takes telephone orders and assists customers in learning the status of orders and return requests in a professional courteous manner using a computer.
- May prepare outgoing mail with proper postage.
- Assists members of other departments as needed.
- Performs other clerical duties as needed.
- Participates as a team member in daily operations including communicating pertinent customer information to the team.
- Maintains regular and punctual attendance in accordance with scheduled work hours.
- Works under immediate supervision. Relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job.
- Provides stellar customer service by maintaining professional working relationships with internal and external customers.
- Attention to detail, both written and verbal.
- Must be able to use a computer for data entry at least six hours per day.\
- Must be able to maintain regular attendance in accordance with his/her scheduled work hours.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Slack, Google Docs, and Google Mail and Calendar system.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Attributes of a successful candidate include:
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Able to effectively handle a wide variety of tasks
- Ability to change directions mid-task while maintaining accuracy and efficiency
- Excellent task follow-through
- Effective at working in a team environment
- Excellent self-direction
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); four years related experience and/or training. Education and experience to include general accounting topics such as accounts receivable and accounts payable, and at least one year of general computer experience, including spreadsheet use and word processing, and an ability to type at least 40 words/minute by touch.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with and solve problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit or stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, typical of an open cubical environment.
Vernier Software & Technology is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veterans status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.