Who You Are
You promote and foster an environment where teamwork is a priority. You are collaborative within your team and across departmental boundaries when making decisions or taking suggestions. You like working in a fast-paced environment where priorities can change at a moment’s notice.
You have a strong and proven technical, project management, and managerial background. You are great at directing workflows but also willing to jump in and assist your team when needed.
You have a passion for hardware. You are driven to understand what makes it tick and how to fix it when it doesn’t. You are eager to explore new technologies and tackle tough problems. You not only strive to deliver quality work, but also provide exceptional support to your team.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; both written and verbal.
- Strong attention to detail; effective problem solving, organization, and time management skills.
- Self-motivated with a results-driven approach.
- Excellent at troubleshooting and repairing electronic circuits.
- Advanced experience comprehending circuit board schematics, layouts, datasheets, and bills of material.
- Highly skilled at soldering electronic components, including extremely small, fine pitch surface mount components.
- Experience with benchtop test and measurement equipment: DMMs, oscilloscopes, power supplies.
Traits for Success
- Demonstrates a high level of professionalism.
- Able to foster working relationships while building trust with peers.
- Proactively demonstrates leadership capabilities through mentoring and training.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree, plus 10+ years related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proven experience in an engineering leadership role.
About the Engineering Team
We apply technology and innovation to develop low-cost, easy to use, and engaging products that advance the art of science education. Our skillsets span hardware, firmware, and mechanical design. We are experts in a wide array of sensor technologies and are always researching ways to improve performance and deliver new products.
As a team, we work together every day in a positive and constructive environment where excellent communication is critical to our success. We strive to deliver quality products to in a timely fashion, while having fun along the way.
Founded in 1981, Vernier pioneers award-winning interfaces, sensors, software, and curriculum to transform how educators teach science and how students collect, analyze, and interpret scientific data. Vernier is registered as an Oregon Benefit Company. We have also been on the list of the 100 Best Places to Work in Oregon for over 15 years.
Being on this list means that we are serious about our commitment to providing employees with a positive, professional, and fun work environment.
What we can offer you
In addition to an amazing company culture, Vernier offers competitive pay, profit sharing, generous benefits, and an employer contribution into your 401(k) retirement account. We have an onsite fitness center, private shower facilities, indoor bike storage room, and weekly fitness activities/classes. Vernier is located next to the Millikan Way MAX line, and we provide an employer-paid commuter benefit. We also offer training opportunities, tuition assistance, paid volunteer time, a generous PTO (paid time off) plan, and paid sabbaticals.
Manages a team of engineers in the development and production of hardware products.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Manages the design, development, and validation of new products and revisions to existing products.
- Ensures support for Production during the introduction period of new products.
- Manages the electrical circuit design for sensors and interface products.
- Manages the mechanical design of packaging for products.
- Manages the circuit board design process including mechanical, layout, part library, build and maintenance.
- Manages microcontroller firmware design including source development, HW/SW integration, revision control, and maintenance.
- Engages frequently with the Engineering team to execute design and development tasks.
- Provides technical consultation on complex projects and is considered a subject-matter expert/top level contributor.
- Leads Engineering department meetings and trainings.
- Relies on extensive experience and judgment to establish and execute department goals.
- Provides mentoring, technical support, individual goal setting, and performance feedback for team members.
- Proactively identifies and implements improvements to processes and deliverables. Acts as a change agent in alignment with business goals.
- Engages multiple teams; maintains an exceptional level of trust with cross-functional peers and co-workers.
- Demonstrates strong technical leadership in aligning technical resources with project needs.
- Maintains regular and punctual attendance in accordance with scheduled work hours.
- Provides stellar customer service by maintaining professional working relationships with internal and external customers.
- Works independently; a wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected and routinely exhibited.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent organization, project management, and time management skills.
- Working knowledge of Vernier Software & Technology sensors, interfaces, software, and curricula.
- Demonstrated leadership, mentoring, and management supervisory experience.
- Manages employees within the Engineering Department. Carries out managerial responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include:
- Review the performance of individuals in the group providing positive and appropriate communications that are fair, consistent and adhere to the company policies and culture.Provide praise, feedback, and counseling as well as disciplinary action when necessary.
- Interview and hire quality candidates that fit with the company culture and adequately meet job qualifications.
- Ensure proper training of new and existing employees on departmental processes and procedures.
- Establish clear, consistent and regular communication and expectations to workers.
- Manage and motivate workers providing a fun and productive atmosphere.
- Conducts quarterly one-on-one meetings and timely performance reviews with all direct reports.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university; and 10+ years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to effectively present information to top management and public groups.
Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations. Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to deal with nonverbal symbolism (formulas, scientific equations, graphs, musical notes, etc.) in its most difficult phases. Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear.The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations maybe made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is typical of an open cubical environment.
Vernier Software & Technology is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veterans status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.